MGUS (monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance)

Hi.
Just introducing myself and giving some info.

My world turned upside down in June of 2018. I had a pretty routine operation to laser a kidney stone. The following day I was at home and at around 7pm, I thought that I felt tired, I thought it was due to the anaesthetic, so I went to bed early.
My daughter woke me up at 11:30am on Sunday, but I couldn’t keep awake. I couldn’t stay awake. At 5pm on Sunday, she took me to our local A&E department.
Between parking the car and the A&E department, I’d forgotten my name and date of birth and how to walk.
I was eventually diagnosed with Sepsis and put on gentamicin as I’m allergic to penicillin. My entire body felt like it had been beaten, I developed a headache, which I still have, I have a really bad short term memory now and a severe case of tinnitus. My balance is pretty ropey now too. I also have numbness/tingling in my fingers and toes.
Another thing that happened after the sepsis was high blood pressure. After numerous ECG’s my heart was ruled not to be the cause, so my kidney’s were checked next. After my blood work was reviewe by the Nephrology department, I was notified that I had an extra protein present, which needed to be monitored.
My kidney function was ok though.
I was referred to haematology, where I was told that I had MGUS IGg Lambda.
Now I’m at a bit of a loss has to what questions I should be asking.
No one can tell me where my symptoms are coming from. Gentamicin can give you similar symptoms as MGUS. I have had further tests carried out for my tingling/numb fingers and toes, but they have come back normal and after my last GP visit it was put down to nerve damage, which makes me think that it’s the MGUS.
If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.
Many Thanks
Joe

3 Likes