Anniversaries - how do they make you feel?

What a lovely story Christine, thank you for sharing it with us. We are very happy you’re here!

1 Like

Hi Christine, yes, we are so lucky and I always think when it is raining and I am going to get wet that there will be some very happy plants and ducks out there. Yes, I think we all have survivors guilt and it also really makes me think how lucky I am. I also feel lucky to have all my Bloodwise Buddies that I would not have known without my diagnosis.

1 Like

I find it hard not to think about the weeks and days leading up to diagnosis when the anniversary is approaching (as it is now).I find it all very emotional, but I’m hoping that will ease as the years pass. The first year anniversary I felt very much like cancer entering our lives didn’t deserve any acknowledgement, but then I decided that how far we had come definitely did deserve acknowledgement and celebration. Now Hugo has finished treatment I think we will continue to acknowledge it in a small way, but we will definitely be celebrating the anniversary of the end of treatment (for the first time later this year!)

4 Likes

I hope you get through the pending weeks okay. It must be so different when you are the mother of one so young. I loved seeing his smiley face on the literature and posts. I wonder if, as he gets older, he will want to be reminded of that anniversary, or whether he will want to blot out what he went through. Does he talk much about the experience, and how is the rest of the family? Best wishes, Louise xx

1 Like

I wondered that too Louise, do Hugo & Henry talk about the experience much or any memories of it? Thanks for sharing your experience @MrsGriff

1 Like

Today is my actual diagnosis anniversary… 2 years since the day when doctor told me I had cancer and exactly what illness I had and what treatment plan was.

Strange feeling at the time… More relief to know finally in some respects… Especially as consultant did speculate on previous visit… It was one of two conditions… Both treatable… But one (Hairy Cell Leukaemia) a less nasty journey.

As I said above… Using anniversary to plug fundraising and raising awareness.

3 Likes

Dear David , good to hear you are doing so well 2 years after diagnosis and putting something back via fundraising, so thank you for that. I do my little bit by contributing to the forum with words of encouragement and advice, unless slow walking becomes a event you can sponsor I’ll have to leave the athletic endeavours to you l.o.l
The low levels of public awareness of blood cancers is still very high compared to other cancers so outward facing initiatives are really important. So happy anniversary and keep up the good work.
Best wishes alfie

3 Likes

Hi David, I know when I think back to the day I was diagnosed that the thoughts and feelings come vividly whizzing back and I can replay it as if I was watching a video and as if it were yesterday. Thank you so much for plugging fundraising and raising awareness on your anniversary but I hope you can find time to celebrate it, if you feel that is appropriate.

3 Likes