Useful gifts for a blood cancer patient

I thought that as we are coming up to Christmas it might be an idea to add a thread about gifts we have found useful as blood cancer patients.
The most useful gift I think we would all agree is time…just a phone call or text if you are unable to visit, a letter or card, something to let the patient know that they are not forgotten.
I remember being in isolation for a birthday, the day after my SCT, and my friends went out for a meal and to a pub quiz to celebrate, and were texting me questions (this was pre smart phones!) and letting me know what they were doing so that I was still involved in our night out.
The other thing I could not do without is a good sleep mist! I have used Molton Brown since I first went into hospital, but there are more and more coming onto the market.
Has anybody else got any tips?

1 Like

I agree with all @Pisces56 says. I really appreciate cards, emails, texts, bubble bath, moisturiser/hand cream and my very favourite present ever was a jar of posh hot chocolate. It is the thought that counts, I think it is so, so true and good family and friends are priceless.

1 Like

Yes, all the above, I was also given an electric diffuser and oils (from Neal’s Yard). Not particularly cheap, but meant the single room always smelled nice (all the staff used to comment) and the scents were actually very relaxing for me.
Also when I was first diagnosed (with AML) I told friends and family that I didn’t want get well cards, but asked whenever they went anywhere then to try and send me a postcard. This worked really well. I received post most days on the weeks I was in hospital so I never felt ‘forgotten’ and they made a great display on the wall. And of course I’ve still got them all!

2 Likes

Hi, welcome to our community forum, isn’t this a brilliant thread, lots of handy hints. I love your postcard idea, there really is something about receiving post, it makes my day. Receiving an email just isn’t the same somehow. The electric diffuser with oils from Neal’s Yard sounds wonderful and decadent to me, but you are worth it. I would be interested to hear more about you.

1 Like

I loved receiving post when in isolation recovering from SCT. It was the highlight of my day. I also read the Daily Mail from cover to cover to find out what was going on out in the real world. My husband used to read the crossword clues out to me & we’d compete it together. He’d do the suduko whilst I napped. Then we’d look at the recipe of the day & I’d drool.
Friends & family would send me text messages, some days it was all I could do to pick up my phone & read them, but it made me feel remembered & thought after & made me smile. I’d reply on a ‘good day’.
One of the best ‘gifts’ was a foot & hand massage with olive oil from a masseuse friend. Bliss!
When I came home & was still not allowed out in the big wide world I found Facebook to be a window into ‘normal’ life. There was less adverts, fake news etc back then. Just to see what was occurring in my friends lives just kept that link open.
So I guess I’m saying you need a good mobile phone.
Belated Merry Christmas & A Healthy New Year to you all
Christine

3 Likes

Some really lovely ideas here Christine thank you for sharing them, I can imagine a hand & foot massage after months of being in hospital felt like a real treat for you! A daily newspaper and working your way through it sounds like a good way of keeping an eye on what is going on in the world, especially with different sections and things to read and puzzles to complete!

2 Likes