The Hair loss journey

Hair loss is something that goes hand in hand with chemotherapy for most people and I was no different.

I’ve written a couple of blog posts about my experience with hair loss since my diagnosis three years ago and thought I’d share them here as I’ve had some very positive feedback previously from some people who’ve found them very helpful. And interestingly it may help to see that my feelings have changed, they show that in time you do start to feel like yourself again even though you never think you will

[This just isn’t me]
(https://butterflyinremission.com/2017/04/06/the-reality-of-chemo-hair-loss-it-just-isnt-me/)

[Growing back to me]
(https://butterflyinremission.com/2018/01/04/cancer-hair-loss-and-growing-it-back-becoming-yourself-again/)

3 Likes

I suffered with alopecia prior to treatment and now have no hair at all and permanently wear wigs. I think in some ways I was better able to deal with the chemo hair loss as I’d already been on that path for many years. I now just think hey I am alive and not having hair is the least of my worries but I know the impact it has on so many women. Interestingly I still never let anyone see me without “hair” so I know how hard it is for anyone with children. I applaude your brave decision to share your pictures xx

3 Likes

Thank you @Penny1
I agree being alive is important and hair is just something on our heads but it is interesting how it can make us feel about ourselves isn’t it. Society as a whole isn’t used to seeing women without it so as with many things we end up being conditioned into how we do and should feel… its a perspective I never really thought about before and alopecia must be hard to live with too.

2 Likes

Found this to be so true in regards to hair loss, I have one chemo left and then hoping mine grows back asap !!

3 Likes

Hannah thank you so much for sharing this, it’s so powerful and something I am sure will resonate with many. Really hope you’re doing well!

3 Likes

Yes!! this is so true, thank you for sharing Hannah…

2 Likes

One of our ambassadors, Samantha, recently shared a blog post for Mental Health Awareness Week around hair loss & coping with changes to your image when you have blood cancer. I thought it may resonate with others, and so wanted to share it here.

Was hair loss something you or a loved one experienced? Do you have any advice, suggestions or questions for others?

1 Like