Signs and Symptoms of Blood Cancer

This page of our website talks about the most common symptoms of blood cancer and what you can do if you’re worried -

You can also order our free blood cancer symptoms guide which is a pocket-sized reminder of these symptoms and provides space for you to record any that you might experience. If you need to get checked out, it also includes things to think about before your appointment and questions to ask your doctor.

1 Like

Hi Alice, this blood cancer symptoms guide is brilliant, thanks to Bloodwise for producing it.

I think I have few of the symptoms

1 Like

Hi @Shazpiglet a warm welcome to the forum. Have you spoken to your GP about the symptoms you’re experiencing? It’s so important that if you’re noticing anything unusual for you that you make your GP aware and talk to them about your concerns, so that they can investigate. I do hope you’re feeling okay, I imagine it’s a worrying time for you. How are you doing at the moment?

1 Like

Hi @Shazpiglet, a great big welcome to our community forum, Yes, we often have very similar symptoms, thoughts, feelings and practicalities no matter what our blood cancer is. That is why I find the forum works so well and is so supportive.
You can contact the wonderful Blood Cancer UK Support Services Team on 0808 2080 888 10am-7pm Monday-Friday and 10am to 1pm Saturday and Sunday or via email at support@bloodcancer.org.uk if you would like to talk to someone.
I look forward to hearing more about you and how you are doing.

It is isn’t it @Erica!

1 Like

Hi @Shazpiglet. How are you doing? Did you manage to contact your gp?

1 Like

Hi,

I have had a few swollen lymph nodes on the right side of my groin for a few months now. You can easily see them. I haven’t really had any other symptoms, however on chat with nurse, maybe some weight loss, on and off night sweats but not for a while now.

I have a couple of questions. I am pretty thin. the thinest ive been , althoug i have always been slim. Could it just be becaus eof that you can see them? Nurse said she could feel them on th eotherside but you can’t see them really just to look at.

Also I have had blood test which all came back normal except low folate. I have a doctors appointment in a coupe of weeks, but could it still be somehting like lymphoma even with normal blood results? Should i be expecting/asking for a lymph node biopsy from doctor or am I being overly dramatic?

2 Likes

Hi @TashaGEC, thank you for posting and a warm welcome to our community. I’ll start by saying I don’t think you’re being dramatic at all, it can be very worrying to have symptoms that you cannot explain and it’s reassuring to hear that you’ve made a doctor’s appointment to address them. If you find it’d be helpful to talk to us to help you plan for your appointment, please don’t hesitate to call our support line on 0808 2080 888 and we can go through things with you.

In case it’s helpful, our website has information about the signs and symptoms of blood cancer, as well as the blood cancer tests that can be done to determine whether somebody has blood cancer or not. This information may be useful to you ahead of your appointment, to help you decide what questions to ask your doctor. It is worth saying that most people with the symptoms listed won’t have blood cancer, but it is important to have new or worrying symptoms looked at and to share your concerns with your doctor to understand what is going on.

I do hope this is helpful, and I will tag our brilliant Nurse Advisors @LauranBloodCancerUK and @GemmaBloodCancerUK, in case they have any more to add. Do take care. Best wishes, Tanya.

4 Likes

Thank you very much for your response. I really appreciate it. I guess ultimatly i nust have to wait for the appointment and talk it through, and realise i cqnt google myself and answer.
I feel better about voicing my concerns without feeling liek im being silly, so thank you.

2 Likes

Hi @TashaGEC. I know it must be worrying and waiting is often the worst part. Please keep us updated on how things go following the GP appointment X

1 Like

Hi @TashaGEC ,
Welcome to our forum & i am very pleased you have found us & reached out. I hope you’re doing okay?
As @TanyaBloodCancerUK has rightly said- being concerned and proactive in having yourself checked is certainly not dramatic by any means. You absolutely have the right plan of action and i think in seeing your GP again you can ask these questions to them and also use our information to facilitate a conversation regarding your other symptoms.
We do know that often lymph glands can often be raised as response to an infection, virus or illness however if this is something that persists then it is advised to do as you are and seek further input from your GP.

It can often be helpful to keep a diary of these symptoms ( night sweats, weight loss, etc) in order to track and present this at GP appointment.

It is reassuring to know that you have had your bloods carried out as this is often the first diagnostic test that would be done to highlight any abnormality however your GP may wish to send you for further tests in order to eliminate any concerns.
If at all you think it may be helpful to talk things through, please do know that our helpline is open 7 days a week and can be reached on 0808 2080 888.

Do Take Care, Lauran

2 Likes

Hi, after a couple of cancellations i had an appointment with doctor today who has given me a 2 week referral to a hemotologist. Will let you know how it goes. Not sure how i feel about it yet. Anyone able to guve me an idea of what to expect at that appointment? Just a chat? Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @TashaGEC glad you got an appointment with your doctor today.
Give yourself time to just take in what was said. Personally I feel the unknown is scary.
A 2 week referral to a haematologist could mean so many things.
But in preparation this is your opportunity to write down all your symptoms, all your fears, questions, your medical history, your family medical history, your medications, allergies, practicalities etc
A consultation is a two way process so make sure you ask anything you want to.
Look after yourself and be kind to yourself and please let us know how you get on.

1 Like

Hi @TashaGEC. I know it’s easy to say not to worry but I also know that’s easier said than done. As @Erica said it could mean a number of things. The positive is that everything is being investigated.
Write down all of your symptoms and any questions. It’s good if you can take somebody with you so they can listen as well as you.
Please keep posting. Waiting for appointments is hard and we are all here for you leading up to your appointment X

1 Like

I have had my appointment now and the haematologist said he doesn’t believe they are swollen and it is just that I am thin that you can see them. I did consider that before I went to the doctors but as you could only see them on one side I thought maybe not. Anyway, he said it didn’t merit a two week referral and I was fine.

2 Likes

Hi @TashaGEC how do you feel about what the haematologist said?
Look after and be kind to yourself

1 Like

I’m not sure to be honest. I expected to feel relief but i felt like he thought i shouldn’t be there. When I came out i have started to think - should i have mentioned this or that or did i downplay some things, but i think that is probably just my personality - over thinking and worrying, rather than there likely being anything wrong. He said he would send me for an ultrasound for reassurance.
He also said my doctor surgery shows me only having lost a few pounds in a year despite me having said i had weight loss as a symptom. but i was breastfeeding a child with multiple allergies at the time so unable to eat a lot myself (although i am surprised it was only that amount)
Ultimately, i’m sure he knows what he is talking about and it is nothing it just didn’t give me the relief i thought it would. Hopefully the ultrasound will stop the nagging voices in my head!

1 Like

It’s really hard when you feel that way. I really hope that the ultrasound will reassure you. Please let us know how you get on X

1 Like