Mental Health Awareness Week - What helps you?

As its Mental Health Awareness Week I thought I’d start this thread…

I thought it would be good to share our thoughts, experiences, good and bad to help each other here in this forum.

And perhaps share some tips, coping mechanisms or ways in which we’ve managed to get through…

For me there are many, I actually suffered quite bad post natal depression so am used to living with the dark and light that has always been part of my life… in fact when I looked back at my hospital notes it was documented that very early on I was concerned about my old issues coming back again… which they did. I was already on anti depressants when I was diagnosed but was also put on other anxiety meds while in hospital.

One of the biggest break through for me has been learning to accept it and that it is ‘ok not to be ok’… I spent so long trying to be happy, trying to be how everyone around me wanted me to be that I ended up exhausted and had a bit of a breakdown… But once I understood that it is ok to be low, sad and feel lost and that I would have better days it all began to feel better.

Before I go on anymore … what are your experiences? What do you do to try to life yourself out of a downward turn?

3 Likes

I think you’re right - accepting its ok not to me ok is the key but that also takes time doesn’t it. Was it a long process for you to get to that point?

2 Likes

Yes @Nichola75 you are completely right… it does take time… I did go through different stages before I got to where I am. I am nearly 4 years since I finished treatment and only now am I feeling like I am in control of my mental health… that’s not saying I’m ok but that I am more in tune, if that makes sense?
I wanted others to know that there is light at the end of the tunnel because I know at times it seems too much.
How about you?

1 Like

It’s Really good to read your post and can relate to how it takes time. Sometimes you feel quite on your own so sharing your experience has helped. I’m two years down the line and probably been more of a struggle the last few weeks. It’s been building to this point for a while. I’m not good at accepting I might be struggling and think that makes it worse. I’ve stopped setting time limits on when I should feel better because like you said it’s up and down isn’t it. Just trying to be a bit kinder to myself - needs a little more work but we get there don’t we xxx

2 Likes

I think the biggest dilemma when deciding wether to share a mental health or physical health problem with others is the other person seems to feel they must come up with a way to fix it for you, and when quite reasonably they can’t, they have a tendency to want to back away, when all they really need to do is let you be your authentic self, with the highs the lows of mood that go with coping with any ongoing illness. It’s important not to always put on a brave face as you set a standard for yourself that is a burden to maintain, remember a fair weather friend isn’t a friend there just an acquaintance. The stayers in your life will accept you warts and all just like you do them.
Alfie

3 Likes

I agree with everything you say here, I am so pleased my comments have helped, I know what its like when you hit a tough period… I too have times like this, it goes in waves and it does pass. I’ve realised that struggling is normal, inevitable and
Stopping putting time limits on when you should feel better is a good plan because I’m not sure I will ever feel ‘better’. Four years on and I am not how I was before, currently I’m struggling with hip pain, I always have pain all over but this is fairly new and the fatigue is still an issue… it has improved though. Eating well and exercising strengthen my muscles is helping but this is only something I’ve managed to do recently.

Acceptance helps but is very hard… something I’ve struggled with too and there are many thinks we have to accept. Accepting that my body is weak, feels like its falling apart as I hobble around and I am unable to work more than 16 hours a week makes me feel utterly depressed but I keep going, not sure I will ever get used to it and as you say it needs a little more work! And talking to others here helps massively! x

1 Like

Hi,im a big believer in speaking out. I have had depression and anxiety for years,it was late on in my life when i was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and this was before my lymphoma diagnosis. It came to a head one day in London when my husband and I had just come out of the show Grease,we’d been euphoric and had been singing to all the songs during the show,we left the theatre and went down to the tube station at Tottenham Court Road,on the platform waiting for the tube my mood plummeted with no explanation,as the tube came in i walked forward not knowing what i was really doing,my husband yanked me towards him. He turned to me and said we’re going to the Drs. We did and after several more screenings i was diagnosed, id felt like this since childhood,yet it took 30yrs to get an answer. You need to chat im always here for you and anyone else who needs support.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing your story so openly and bravely, it sounds like your husband is very supportive, and I hope you have been able to talk and get support since that day? It sounds like you went through a lot before you were diagnosed. So pleased you’re sharing your story, we need to talk mental health more.