Hot flushes or hot and cold flushes

Thank you @Alfie & @Hannah97 for replying and sharing your experiences. I hope they help others who may be experiencing them!

3 Likes

I have heard of putting cold water into a hot water bottleā€¦not tried it myself

2 Likes

I literally asked on a Facebook support group today about hot flushes as am having these all the time at the mo. Iā€™m only 35 so unlikely to be premenopausal. Iā€™ll definitely contact the haemo nurse give your responses!

2 Likes

Hi loverlygal, I have just been reading your profile, sorry to hear you have been suffering from hot flushes,as you say itā€™s not likely to be the peri menopause at your age. I hope you saw my hints and tips they helped me though 5 long sweaty years L.O.L
Donā€™t feel you have to downplay your diagnosis, chronic illnesses like your can be emotionally as well as physically draining and you deserve to receive help and support just as much as some one like me. How are you feeling at the moment ?
Best wishes
Alfie

5 Likes

How are you doing @Loverlygal - have you found anything which has improved your hot flushes?

1 Like

Hi Erica, thanks for your last post, came across this post just now still finding my way round, may take a while. thatā€™s what got be to drā€™s in the first place hot and cold flushes mainly whammy hot hot oneā€™s my face feels like itā€™s on fire quite often, along with feeling unwell and achy sent me to the drā€™s saying something wrong i thought early menopause when i was 39 not unheard of tho? i actually said to nurse/doctor that my internal thermostat is going haywire!! and sometimes i have got into the bath in middle of night or even led spread out on the bathroom floor feels amazing!! Now to cope i have invested 7/8 fans i take a hand one with me to appointments and have one either side of my bed, in summer i have like this big industrial strength one thatā€™s so powerful my cat wonā€™t go near it and it blows wasps, flies etc out the back garden itā€™s cool pardon the pun!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi your hot flushes sound absolutely horrible, but I am glad you have not lost your sense of humour, yes, isnā€™t the bathroom floor absolutely wonderful. I feel sorry for your cat. I love the use of the word ā€˜coolā€™ now, my Zumba instructor uses it when we are all hot and sweaty and worn out. I presume your medical team cannot give you anything except for saying keep using the fans. Take care and keep posting how you are.

Hi Erica, Iā€™m doing okay feeling better actually. not sure if i mentioned other day i spoke to clinical nurse she said i could send in my blood to be checked, but my doctorā€™s have shut down until further notice, so going to have to wait i think. How are you, hope you well? :smile:

1 Like

I am glad you are doing OK but I think we are in exceptional times. The main thing is that you stay safe and as well as you can be. I am doing OK, self isolating, and had a telephone appointment with a consultant yesterday, different but positive. Keep posting, I think we all might need that sense of being part of a supportive community.

Hi all, i also came through the menopause so the hot flushes I get are nothing new in terms of how to manage. It is cardigan on, cardigan off, duvet on , duvet off. I quite like giving the duvet a good kick when my neuropathy in my feet is playing up . Then I play loud drums with my feet to remind them I am in controlā€¦. My central heating has been on and off all ā€˜summerā€™ but again i just adjust as needed. I wear a wrap sarong in the house (I have several pretty ones )and leave my shoulders bare. On my feet I wear thick football comfy socks and I have a long teddy hot water bottle and heated blanket ā€¦sometimes they are on at the same time. I am of Caribbean heritage and therefore cold and me donā€™t mix. My feet feel cold every day and as if i am walking in (not onā€¦) water. My right bottom lip has neuropathy also and feel like my mouth is dribbling ā€¦ not a good look but I do my face everyday (Matt red lipstick dries the imaginary dribbles and cheers me no end ) I get dressed as if i am going outā€¦ I have cried once but quickly sent the tears back ā€¦. I donā€™t really know what to cry forā€¦ I can get quite loopy with laughter sometimes. I brought a new manā€™s dark grey soft fleece dressing gown with hood from sainsbury - with the hood up I look like ET as i have already shaved my headā€¦ā€¦in preparation, but I make wigs and have done and worn fashion wigs for yearsā€¦(a cultural thing) since 13 and I am now 60ā€¦ā€¦ having this ā€˜blood cancerā€™ diagnosis is not nice but I am taking it all in my stride.

1 Like

Oh @Mayo57 yes, I remember doing all those things. Your sarong sounds lovely as do your teddy bear hot water bottle and fleece dressing gown (good old Sainsburys).
Making wigs must be a great skill.
Donā€™t worry I look like Friar Tuck !!!
I am glad you are taking things in your stride, sounds good to me, but look after yourself.

1 Like

Hi all
Iā€™ve been getting hot flushes in the evening for quite some time now before I was diagnosed I always thought it was down to my high blood pressure and have noticed it starts after Iā€™ve eaten. Over the last few weeks Iā€™ve been getting them at lunch time too and the ones in the evening last longer the hot weather hasnā€™t helped one little bit so as soon as it cools off I am much happierā€¦
Can I ask if anyone feels like their feet are burning. Iā€™ve discovered thatā€™s how my feet feel to me but mum has told me theyā€™re not burning hot theyre just warmā€¦

1 Like

Hello @Ells. Itā€™s good to hear from you. I have an Myeloproliferative Neoplasm, Myelofibrosis and for many years I had a high platelet count. My blood counts have now swung the other way and are on the low side. However for many years when the platelets were high, I did feel as if my feet were burning, especially at night. The haematologist told me at the time that this was due to ā€˜poolingā€™ of the platelets. As my platelet count is now low, the problem has gone away. Hope this helps. I do sympathise as it is unpleasant especially when you are trying to sleep. Warm wishes. Willow

1 Like

Hi @Willow

I have jak2 Myeloproliferative disorder and ET
Even though my platlets have now come down to the right level my feet are still burning I think more than they were before I hope that maybe they will sort themselves out and now I know itā€™s to do with this I can speak to the haematologist next time. Thank you so much it does help me alot. I hang my feet out of the bed :joy::joy:
Warm wishes
Ellen

1 Like