Hot flushes or hot and cold flushes

When I was first diagnosed, and at every medical appointment, I am asked whether I have hot flushes at night, well yes, I do, but, during the day, I also have waves of hot flushes in cold weather and waves of cold flushes in hot weather. I just say my internal thermostat has broken down. I wonder if anyone else has these experiences?

1 Like

@Erica My haematologist always asked about flushes and itching for the first few years after my transplant, but the last couple of years has asked about holidays and Bloodwise activities instead. He has now retired, so new doctor at my next check. Lately my head (but not the rest of me) will suddenly go warm. No other symptoms, so staying calm at the moment

2 Likes

Louise, not to make light of your many challenges but that is a new slant on being hot headed. It will be interesting having a new doctor to break in at your next check. Take lots of care.

1 Like

@Erica and @Pisces56 do you both still get flushes? or does it occur more during your initial diagnosis?

1 Like

Josh and @pisces56, I still get hot flushes at night, but they are not as bad as they were. I do also get them sometimes during the day. I think my thermostat is up the creek as I feel the cold a lot more now and I can feel hot or cold at any times when others don’t. I wonder what others feel?

3 Likes

Like Erica i seem to go through phases. At this time of year I can’t decide between using my lightweight duvet or the winter one. I just stick one leg out of the duvet for a few minutes to cool down. I have a cuddle blanket for the winter too

3 Likes

Louise, I also stick one leg out of the duvet to cool down. I have the most wonderful honey monster, pink, red and orange onesie which also has a hood that I believe Bloodwise has a photo of me in. I wear my onesie to watch Strictly every Saturday night from September to Christmas.

4 Likes

@Pisces56 and @Erica,

Do GP’s or do you both have advice for tackling the flushes? is it anything you can do about it?

1 Like

Josh, great question. In my experience my GP only asks if I have any of the usual list of symptoms, but no remedies offered. Mind you I haven’t asked either. As you can see above Louise and I just learn to live with and manage our systems. In years past I was never offered or did I ask for HRT so I do not know if that would have made a difference.

1 Like

Erica i get hot flushes evening and at night,then i go cold at night then hot,alternatively disturbing sleep most nights. Im going through menopause, symptoms are similarly alike,ive had 4 hot night soaking sweats in the last 3mths.x

3 Likes

I hate anything that disturbs my sleep, I also think sleep is so important to my well being. Isn’t it difficult when symptoms are similar for different conditions? Take care and keep posting letting us know how you are.

1 Like

Yes you never know wether to call your nurse or not,never want to waste anyone’s time. Will do,and you too.

2 Likes

My philosophy is if I am worried about something it is worth contacting my nurse as fears and worrying are not good for me as I take feelings inside. We look forward to hearing from you soon.

2 Likes

Hi Erica I still have those flushes during day as well as at night! My consultant also asked last week but didn’t seem unduly concerned at my reply x

2 Likes

Hi, again I think it is worth asking your medical team if you should be concerned by your hot flushes and is there anything to ease them. Take care and let us know how you are and what’s going on for you.

1 Like

Hello @Penny1,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with hot and cold flushes. I am so sorry to hear that they are occurring in the day and in the night. Do you have any tips or recommendations for others who are in a similar situation?

1 Like

Hi Penny, I think I and others share your experience with their consultant on the subject of day and night flushes. It is one of those things that they think you can live with especially if you are female and of a very wide spectrum of ages. Perhaps they do not have to live with them !! I think you have to be persistent.

2 Likes

Hello forum community!

I just wanted to ask if anyone had experience of having drenching night sweats and had any tips or advice on how you coped with them? It’s something I’ve been asked about on the support line and I’ve talked about keeping hydrated in the day, cotton sheets/pyjamas, fans, cool/ice packs - but if you have anything more useful that you find helps/helped then it would be so helpful (as well as speaking to the haematologist about any new or worsening symptoms of course) to help support anyone struggling with these drenching night sweats.

Thank you,

Dawn

3 Likes

I would recommend a cotton covered mattress topper especially if you have a memory foam topped mattress as in my experience these are very effective in keeping heat in the body, which is not what you want if you are having night sweats. Also a very small fan you can put on a bed side cabinet so you can be cool just before you switch the light off before going to sleep, and it helps if you wake up hot in the night to cool down quickly without having to get out of bed. It’s better to have less covers and slightly more bed clothes as you can just throw the covers off the bed without going to the other extreme and being too cold. For my sins I did 5 years of the menopause which stood me in good stead when I got cancer :blush:

4 Likes

I have found taking an antihistamine at night has helped me quite a bit with hot flushes !

4 Likes