Competing in Blood Cancer UK events

@James, @AnnaMam, @SAMBAAA, @judesadventures, and @dmquinlan have any of you considered running the London Marathon?

Hi Joshua
I did it this year for Bloodwise and raised Ā£19235!!!

3 Likes

Yes, I have considered it in the past, even put in ballot (before I was ill) - Iā€™ve not run since Hackney half in May this yearā€¦ (well, was concentrating on cycling training during summer)ā€¦

Itā€™s a big commitmentā€¦ Iā€™d have to think about it.

@judesadventures,

Wow thats amazing! I just saw that you have put in a ballot to run for the London marathon and about 414,000 thousand applied to participate. I didnā€™t think it was that huge.

@dmquinlan,

Yea I heard it take quite a bit of dedication to compete in a run or cycle event. If you were to train for an event, would you train daily or every other day?

1 Like

I tailor training based on the eventā€¦ e.g. I could do a 10k on 3 5k plus training runs, half marathon Iā€™d have to be up to doing at least 3/4 distance.
For cycling, as much as I can get in, shorter quicker rides and longer slower onesā€¦ :slight_smile:

I also practice Yoga so I would fit that around anything I was working towards tooā€¦ usually a class once week at a studio, and some home practice following youtube videos (usually Yoga with Adrienne, who has videos targeting runners, cyclists etc)

Iā€™ve not run a marathon yet, so donā€™t quite know how I would approach thatā€¦ probably my half marathon trainingā€¦ trebled at least Iā€™d say!

Important to plan from nutrition perspective alsoā€¦

2 Likes

Hello @dmquinlan,

Thank you so much for sharing your training programme. It may be helpful for others who are considering events for the future. Do you have any events planned for 2019 that you would like to share?

1 Like

Yesā€¦ Nothing confirmed yetā€¦ If I donā€™t Ride London ballot place Iā€™ll probably ride for Bloodwise againā€¦ Or maybe do half marathonā€¦ Mix it up a bit.

2 Likes

Iā€™m doing the London Marathon for Bloodwise this year (eek!). Really looking forward to it, I think the atmosphere and support will be amazing. Running for a cause so close to my heart will help get me round too. I did the Royal Parks Half Marathon in 2017. Would definitely love to hear anyoneā€™s hints and tips.

3 Likes

Updateā€¦ I received a ballot place in this yearā€™s RideLondon so have signed up with Team Bloodwise again. Hoping for NO rain this year!! :grinning:

4 Likes

Fantastic news! We are very lucky to have you on Team Bloodwise! Have you begun training @dmquinlan ? Really hope the rain stays away for you! (Sadly, not guaranteed, even in August!)

1 Like

Yesā€¦ I have begun trainingā€¦ mainly on turbo trainer with Zwift ā€¦ but will be out on roads soon. Signed up for a couple of sportives alsoā€¦ The Ridgeway Rouleur with UK Cycling Events later this monthā€¦ And the tour of Cambridgeshire event in June.

David

1 Like

Youā€™re doing well on the training and events side, David, please keep posting on your progress.

After running a 10K last year Iā€™ve now decided itā€™s time to do a longer distance so I have officially signed up for the London Landmarks half marathon next March! Iā€™m actually really excited to get training and challenge myself even more. I was wondering if anyone else is running for Bloodwise and if anyone knows any good training plans?

1 Like

Wow, what a challenge, I cannot help with your question as I am not a runner. What I have heard is that a good training plan to structure your preparation is key. Perhaps if there is someone else is also doing the half marathon you might virtually buddy up and support each other training and then perhaps meet at the half marathon. Let us know how you are getting on and take it steady.

I canā€™t believe Iā€™m signed up, I donā€™t think itā€™ll seem real until the day. Well Iā€™m part of a running club but I havenā€™t been for a good few weeks now as Iā€™m injured but I do know thereā€™s someone else doing it so hopefully we can sort out a training plan together. Iā€™ll keep you updated on my training!

1 Like

Have you found a training plan to use @SAMBAAA - start slow and build slowly! Thatā€™s my advice. Lovely to hear youā€™re running for Bloodwise, weā€™re incredibly honoured!

1 Like

I havenā€™t as yet Dawn but Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll find one soon! Oh thatā€™s what Iā€™m planning on doing :slight_smile: Thank you! Iā€™m so happy Iā€™m now well enough to give something back, it feels amazing!

1 Like

Go, @SAMBAAA, go !!!

Hey folks, here is my account of this years RideLondonā€¦
Enjoy! Shout out to all those I met on the ride and back in Henryā€™s ā€¦ see you next yearā€¦ train hardā€¦ stay strongā€¦ #rideonā€¦

2 Likes

Hi, what a great video of your Ride London journey, thanks so much and yes, I will wave and shout my head off next year.

1 Like