Blood Cancer News: Mum, 28, diagnosed with rare blood cancer while pregnant with her third child

Morning!

Hope you’re having a good start to the week.

Did you see this story in the news?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mum-diagnosed-cancer-pregnant-gives-21139563

2 Likes

Thanks, Bav, for highlighting this story. What a situation to be in, I cannot imagine the fears, anxieties, questions, thoughts and feelings whirring around and also trying to keep family life as normal as possible at the same time.

1 Like

Totally agree Erica, its really thought provoking how people have to deal with difficult and different situations in life.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing Bav! :+1: I wonder if anyone here has had any similar experiences? or know someone who has? and would like to share? as you say @Erica, we can only imagine what this young mum must be going through, wishing Roberta and her family all the very best.

1 Like

I know of a couple of cases of women who had a cancer diagnosis while pregnant, although not a blood cancer. My daughter’s midwife had thyroid cancer, had treatment and now has the child she was carrying and another child. Breast cancer also seems to be one that crops up during or soon after childbirth.
When I was first admitted to the Haematology unit there was a lady who had been diagnosed with leukaemia soon after giving birth. Luckily her doctor sent her for a blood test at the hospital because of unusual bruising and she was transferred to the hospital where I was being treated by ambulance. What horrified me was that nobody had spoken to her about why she was being put in an ambulance, and she was only told her diagnosis on arrival at the haematology unit. She came in for treatment daily, so that she could go home to her young family. She made a good recovery.
Perhaps some research could be done on the effect of pregnancy on cancer cells …

1 Like

Thank you so much for sharing this story Louise @Pisces56 It’s so wonderful to hear that the lady on the same unit as you made a good recovery :+1: it was really interesting to hear about your personal experiences with this. I agree hopefully with more research into something like cancer and pregnancy, it will mean less people going through this. We can only imagine how tough it must be for someone, like people you mentioned, Louise, you experience a life changing event like a pregnancy or giving birth, only to be faced cancer. Thank you again for sharing!

1 Like